PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Reeds

Ikillit
11-08-2007, 06:31 AM
How do you know when you need to replace your reeds? Does your call start sounding like ****e? I suppose how often you need to do it depends on the amount of calling you do. But I was just wondering.
Thanks
Gary

HRK
11-08-2007, 06:58 AM
On goose calls when they start to blister or crack. Duck calls if they start to stick on a fairly regular basis after a short time of blowing them, thats a good sign they need to be replaced. I usually replace my duck reeds a couple times a season as needed.

jstbob
11-08-2007, 11:00 AM
Do they charge for them reeds?

IowaMigr8tor
11-08-2007, 01:01 PM
When I first started using Foiles calls the reeds were covered for a year, don't know about that now. You can either send your call into the shop or purchase new reeds and replace them your self. Call 1-866-83-GEESE and they will fix you up.

Ikillit
11-11-2007, 09:38 AM
Hmm I guess I must hunt a sad amount compared to you Barry. Thanks for the input.
Gary

Bossman
11-11-2007, 02:00 PM
Like stated on a short reed goose call or a duck call... you replace the reed as it deteriates, and you'll know by inspecting the reed for milky white places (this is where the mylar is starting to delaminate), also if your reed is cracked you'll replace it. You'll replace your short reed call far more often then your duck call reed. Duck call reeds can go for years without needing replaced, I think what Barry was thinking is that you need to replace your cork if your call starts to stick or starts to sound flat, the reed is perfectly fine until is starts to delaminate or cracks, just replace your cork regularly as needed on the duck call. Make sure when you put your reed into your duck call that you check for which way the reed "bows" as it has a natural curl to the reed from cutting them off of rolls of mylar, the bow of the reed or belly of the bow goes down onto the tone board.

HRK
11-11-2007, 02:15 PM
Actually thats not what I was thinking, as stated I do replace my reeds a couple times a season. This doesnt include just being hunted, but summer practicing also. Once the call starts to stick on a regular basis after only a short time of use I replace the reeds and this cures the problem, Ive tried replacing just the wedge and that will help sometimes but not all the time. I'm sure you know all the FMI duck calls use a Sani-Wedge and not Cork, only our line of BGB calls still mainly use Cork wedges. Maybe its just me, but its a general rule that I follow...