PDA

View Full Version : Wood calls with acrylic inserts?

gooseshooter1
12-06-2007, 08:45 PM
I have an all hedge SMH, but have trouble putting my acrylic insert in it when i wanna change it up a bit. The arcylic insert is to big to fit in the wood barrel. Just wondering if anyone else has this problem or if mine wasn't quite bored right? Thanks

HRK
12-06-2007, 09:11 PM
Could be possible the "O" rings are dry, try a little lube on them. silicone lube seems to work good. If you dont have that try a little Vaseline on the insert, just a light coating and see if that helps. all the SMH inserts should fit with no problems, do you have a differant insert that came with the call?

feetdown20
12-07-2007, 07:50 AM
i just recieved a tundra saver for xmas from my fiance. Seems i have the opposite problem. it acts like it will fall apart fairly easy. it has the o rings in it, but everyone that has picked it up to see it, has said, "Man, is it suppose to be that easy to pull apart"...... any help on this problem?

Greg Ruark Jr.
12-07-2007, 07:53 AM
Feetdown

I had a cal that was fairly loose as well. Wipe the inside surface of the mouthpiece to remove any silicon lubricant that may be present. I did this and it helped a ton.

feetdown20
12-07-2007, 10:11 AM
thanks for the help...
should i wipe it down with some kinda cleaner or just a wet papertowel? its a numbered ts and sounds amazing, so like any other fmi follower, i don't want to loose either of the pieces to this call.

HRK
12-07-2007, 10:30 AM
Just a dry cloth should take off enough excess on the insert and slightly wipe the "O" ring area out also. The insert should go in fairly easy but not to easy as to force it in.

if its still lose after doing this, let us know and we can help you out from there.

mlgorecki
12-20-2007, 06:51 AM
I have an all hedge SMH, but have trouble putting my acrylic insert in it when i wanna change it up a bit. The arcylic insert is to big to fit in the wood barrel. Just wondering if anyone else has this problem or if mine wasn't quite bored right? Thanks
The other problem is that wood swells and condenses, depending on the ambient temperature and humidity, similar to a rifle stock. If you're inside, at room temperature and it's too tight of a fit, try it outside, after the wooden parts get cold, and you should see a difference.

I had the same problem with an all wood duck call. I couldn't get it apart to rain-ex the reed. After being outside, in the blind for a while, it came apart with ease.

The good thing is, in terms of duckiness and goosiness, you can't beat all wood. You probably don't want to hear this, because it involves more money, but you'll eventually have a wood and an acrylic version of your "go to" duck and goose calls, as most of us do. In your case, all it would involve is getting an acrylic barrel. This way, while your in the sh$t, all you have to do is grab another call.