Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default For you Michigan Boys -crayfish regs??

ok, so I fianlly decided to start trapping crayfish again. ive done it for alot of years in Wisconsin and they have some pretty specific regs regarding your traps and such. Well now Im in Michigan and want to start doing it again, cause there one of the finest tasting things out there, but I can find anything about any regulations regarding them. I found the reptile and amphibian regs, but no crayfish. Anyone got any info? Maybe there isnt any regs and its a free for all?

Im not sure about the regs in Michigan...but I trap them here in WI and I love eatin them.

I hear yah! Better than lobster.

Ive read the entire Michigan fishing, hunting and trapping regs cover to cover, and search for them on there website on nothing. The only thing I can find is about transporting rusty crayfish. I emailed the DNR, so maybe Ill hear back from them.

I went out today and caught a ice cream pale full just using a fishing rod and some chicken liver on a hook. But I want to set some traps here in the next few days.

You catchin mostly rusty's then to in Michigan or what.

Click Here

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dn...s_272056_7.pdf

Then type in Crayfish in the search option in the pdf file, it will come up with several hits to Crayfish as far as I can tell. As far as I know, you can't catch them or posess them, especially the Rusty Crayfish, just for the fact they don't want it spreading any more than they already have and hurting the native crayfish and some trout populations on small streams....If you plan to eat em, could be a matter of dont ask dont tell, but I wouldn't want to get hammered with a pile of crayfish! I remember running down the river a few weeks back and saw lots of traps I swore were crayfish traps, but according to the site its illegal....

Check this map and call, I'm thinking you are the Western UP office, call them and ask tell them you want to know the crayfish regs, if they act like they don't know, tell them you want to speak to a CO

http://www.michigandnr.com/publicati...es_wmu_map.pdf
    Last edited by BigR; 08-06-2009 at 10:15 PM.

well thats what i was thinking but right under this section, it says you can, just not commercially.

Lawful Fishing Methods
    Bait:
    See updated VHS information on pages 14-15
    . Any fish
    (except lampreys, live carp, and goldfish) and frogs may be used as
    bait when legally taken and possessed. Wigglers (mayfly nymphs) and

other aquatic nymphs and larvae also may be used for bait, but may
    not be taken from any trout stream except for personal use on the same
    stream. Crayfish may be taken for bait for personal use. See special
    exceptions on Michigan-Wisconsin Boundary Waters (p. 13).

oh crap, I read through it too fast and did not even notice that.....

I'd load em up then, they aren't going to care how many you take, hence why you don't see a limit, they want to put a dent in the Rusty Crayfish's population as much as possible.

thats what I figured, and the rivers that flow into the bay are loaded with them.

but Id still like to know if theres anything regarding trap size. i know there is for turtles and minnow traps. and in Wisconsin theres rules regarding trap size. so i just want to be on the safe side.

i tried calling the DNR today, but its a mandatory ferlow day. Thats convienent.

well finally got a email response from the DNR, looks like Im good to go.

Anglers 17 and over would need at least a restricted fishing license to personally harvest crayfish. Check the information on crayfish listed on page 7 of the guide under Bait. Crayfish may be taken for bait for personal use, except in MI/WI boundary waters. Also, you cannot commercially harvest crayfish without purchasing a special commercial license sold by license control. You can't sell any crayfish harvested under a fishing license and you can't commercially sell or possess rusty crayfish period. Although, anglers can harvest them personally to use for bait or food. All for personal take: no restriction on nets or traps, no size limits, no limits, no season. Trout waters should be open to personal crayfish harvest as long as the fishing season is open there. The fishing guide can be accessed online at: http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10364_52261_52262-211017--,00.html

How do you guys cook them? Put them in boiling water? Ive never had them.