Default Goose hunting weather??

Is there a specific degrees that geese like?? and a special wind MPH?? It seems like they won't fly unless its perfect...

I wouldn't say that geese prefer a certain temp over another because they have learned to survive and adapt to anything. Although, there is certain conditions as a hunter that I really prefer I personally like cold to mild temps where the geese don't have to worry about keeping a waterhole from freezing. I like a moderate wind from any direction depending upon the field I'm hunting. If I'm waiting on birds from a migration stand point I obviously prefer a north wind. So to answer your question i would say geese don't prefer a certain type of weather but are more active during certain conditions. The key is no matter what, the geese will eat. Scouting is crucial to determine when and where these birds fly. In an optimal situation geese will fly from the roost to the feed after feeding they may go to a loaf or return to a roosting waters and use that as a loaf as well. They will sit there most of the day until they fly to feed in the evening. Notice I said OPTIMAL. There are different circumstances, I have seen instances where geese will have two different feeds morning and evening, also where they will feed once a day if they are keeping water open and the temps are cold. Scouting is the most important factor. Know when those birds feed what they are feeding on notice changes in the weather that may affect your birds and take note. One thing is for sure geese will always eat somthing.

it seems like they don't like to fly when its 55+ degrees ouside.. We went hunting today and it was in the 60s and we only saw 2 flocks...

Blog Entries

They are flying early and headed back to the water before 10am.. It seams to m they don't wan to be in te fields in th ha of the day..They weather i changing a littl though??
    Travis Wood
    Western Wingshooter.com
    Foiles Migrators
    FA Brand
    Winchester Ammo
    Browning
    PRO-STAFF

Do you think when the migrators come down, and it starts getting a little bit cooler that they will stay out longer. It has always seemed that the birds are always gone by 10-11 am.... By the way Travis I had my first corn field hunt today!!!! say 1 flock ha... o well they looked at us.
    Last edited by I HUNT GEESE; 10-17-2010 at 09:17 PM.