Default dog breaking on gun shot

any tips to correct this before it goes to far?

Train for it. Get 2 or 3 buddies and set up as if you were hunting. Have a buddy with a gun beside you and the dog (you controll the dog only) blow a duck call and have one of your other buddies out about 40 yds blow on a duck call and throw a bird into the air. You call the shot and controll the dog while your buddy beside you shoots the gun. If he breaks you nick him and say no stay. Don't let him pick up the bird and start over. Do this until he gets the point. My female just started breaking. I tied a lead to the frame of her GHG ground force dog blind so she can only get her head out to mark. The first time I called the shot she pulled the blind about a foot and I nicked her and said no stay. After that she jumped a little and I nicked her again and said no stay. The 3rd time she sat there and waited for the comand to retrieve. Hope it stays that way. Another thing you can do that would benifit both of you is to join a retriever club somewhere close.

Blog Entries

tie outs are in valuable for young dogs just getting started. steady drills in off season should cure this just by repetition. even my most experienced dog blows out and flips me the paw once in a while to get a bird. they cant help it its in theyre blood . if they never did it I'd worry some. Just work on steadying in off season and you will be fine
    John Beebe
    Foiles Migrators Pro Staff
    Double B Retrievers

weree getttin there, thanks for the tips consistency is gonna be the key

Consistency!!!!!

repititioonnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!

repitition anddd possssitttiveee reeeeeiinnnnnforrrrcceeeeemennnttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it's also good to work in a buddys dog to account for the competition factor if you hunt with anyone else that has a dog. just make sure they are of the same mind when it comes to training.
    Beer Sponsored Bikini Team Manager - I wish
    Pack Mule come Waterfowl Season - Unfortunate Reality
    Related to Someone Rich - Not so much